Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gluten Free Home Made Bread

This bread makes excellent Texas toast.  It has become my breakfast every morning, and since I can't tolerate most of the chemicals they add to margarine, I enjoy it with real butter.  Mmmm good!!!

Bette Hagman's Gluten-Free Flour Mix 


 3 cups rice flour
1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/2 cup tapioca starch
Mix Well


Gluten Free Bread
(Gluten Free Cooking School) 
http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/

1 Tbsp. bread machine yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 ½ c. water (105 degrees or a little less than hot)
2 ½ cups GF Flour Mix
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1tsp. salt
3 eggs (or 9 Tbsp. water and 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed)
1 ½ Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. cider vinegar

1. Start by combining the yeast and sugar in a small bowl (I use the smallest in my set of three nested mixing bowls). Add the water while gently stirring the yeast and sugar. Let this mixture sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients – bubbles and foam should form if the yeast is happy.
2. Combine the flour mix, xanthan gum and salt in the largest mixing bowl and stir well.
3. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vinegar until the eggs are a bit frothy.
  1. By this point the yeast mixture should be foamy, so you can pour the two liquid mixtures into the flour mixture. Blend the dough with a mixer for 4 minutes.
Bread Machine Directions:
Scoop your dough into the bread machine and smooth the top of the dough. I bake my bread using an 80 minute setting that allows for 20 minutes of kneading, 18 minutes of rise, and 42 minutes of baking. However, since I don’t use the paddle in by bread machine, I’m effectively doing a 38 minute rise and a 42 minute bake.  


No comments:

Post a Comment