Crisp Zucchini Bites with Garlic Aioli Dip
1 large or 2 medium green or yellow zucchini, sliced into 1/2″ thick rounds
1/2 cup all-purpose flour for dredging (seasoned with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper)
2 eggs, beaten, for egg wash
1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Oil for sautéing (Use something with a higher smoke point like grape seed oil or canola)
For the Garlic Aioli Sauce:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
How to Make the Best Zucchini Chips:
1. Create an assembly line: In the first bow, mix together: 1/2 cup flour with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. In the second bowl, beat two eggs with a fork. In the third bowl, add 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs. Tip: You’ll be less stressed if you complete steps 1-4 and bread all of the zucchini before the oil is hot and ready, then you can keep an eye on them in the pan without worrying about them browning too much.
2. Dredge all sides of zucchini chips in flour.
3. Next, dip them in the beaten egg mixture; they should be completely coated in egg.
4. Transfer zucchini to the bread crumbs bowl and coat both sides of zucchini with bread crumbs. It helps to scoop the breading on top of the zucchini pieces so when you grab a hold of them to turn them, your fingers won’t get wet and later get so crusted up in panko that they aren’t useable (been there). If this does happen (and it might despite your best efforts), keep calm and wash your hands, then continue.
5. Heat a large, non-stick, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and add about 1/4″ oil (enough to generously cover the bottom). Note: The oil is hot enough when your zucchini is simmering in the pan, but it should not be snap, crackle and popping out of control. Once the oil is hot, add breaded zucchini chips and saute about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side. If browning too quickly, reduce heat. Once zucchini are done frying, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels and serve warm with aioli sauce.
How to make Aioli Sauce/ Aioli Dip:
1. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup mayo, 1 pressed garlic clove, 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Stir to combine.
From Witches, Britches, Broomsticks